Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The actual station equipment.

I've had many many radios over the past 27 years and really never settled on a preferred brand, until recently that is.
I bought an Elecraft K2 and was amazed at the difference over the Yaesu FT 920 that I had at the time. I got the Elecraft bug!
I now own two K2's, one fully loaded and one a 10 watt version built by the original owner to drive transverters, the reason I bought it.
I put my order in for a K3 the day after it was announced and received mine 8 months and 22 days after placing the order, a 9 month gestation period for my new baby!
The K3 is an amazing radio, and getting better all the time. I also own an Elecraft KX 1 which I've not played with much as yet. The K3 also has an LP Pan fitted which is something I'm still trying to get to grips with, work in progress!
I also own another of Larry's products an LP100 A power meter and a US Navigator sound card interface.
The other radios in my shack are as follows.
An Icom 781, the former flagship HF radio, mine has a few issues which the previous owner didn't make me aware of when he traded with me. However I'm getting there. There will shortly be available a replacement power supply which is the root of all the problems I believe.
An Icom 275H for 2mtrs , an amazing radio, one of the best ever on VHF with an Icom 475H to keep it company.
An Icom 910H with 23 cms fitted, my satellite radio, 72 countries on AO40 in 16 months, what a buzz. Its a pity there ins't a HEO up there, cos until there is I wont be back on the birds.
LEO's leave me cold.
I also have TenTec 526 which is a 6mtr and 2 mtr radio. and a TenTec Omni IV which is on permanent loan at the radio club for those who prefer something without all the bells and whistles.
In my workshop I have the 2nd K2 and a Yaesu FT 8900, and in the car I have a TS50 and an Icom 208 for vhf, uhf and UHF cb for work.
The antennas have been many and varied over the years, quads, monobanders etc but will be a Force 12 C4S for HF in the next few weeks as the new tower is installed, the Butternut HF9V will be sold and an 80 mtr sky warmer will be installed as well, just for local stuff.
In the car I have a Terlin Outbacker, but a special one which includes RFDS and Radphone frequencies.
So thats the actual station here at VK6RK

No comments:

Post a Comment